CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dogs back legs are weak and he is having trouble standing.

my dogs back legs are weak and he is having trouble standing. xrays have not revealed any significant bone or spine probelms, appetitie good, bowel and bladder normal, slightly elevated kidney ezymes that have remained unchanged for a year.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did this start?

Do the toes/paws ever drag, scraping the nails?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
extreme symptoms onset 3 weeks ago. but a few isolated before that. yes possible draging of paws and scraping nails. have observed a few incidents of paws rolling under. and nail type catching.
Based on age, breed, and history, a possible cause would be a problem of the spinal cord in the back, such as a herniated disc or a tumor of the spinal cord.

LINK HERE with more information.

In these cases, x-rays are normal - and the way to diagnose this is often a myelogram, CT, or MRI.

Making an appointment with a neurologist would be recommended.
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.