Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
22143564

My 2-1/2 year old great dane has a growth on her paw on the

My 2-1/2 year old great dane has a growth on her paw on the top webbing between her toes. What could this be? It is black on top (the part you can see when looking at her paw) but when spreading the web open it kind of cones down to a bigger base where it is growing from.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question concerning Misha. How large is the growth, would you say?

Dr. John :

Sorry Mischa :-)

Customer:

the top is about 1/4" maybe

Dr. John :

Does it at all resemble this picture?

Dr. John :

Full Size Image

Customer:

no

Customer:

it is black on the top of it, almost looks like another pad

Customer:

but then when I spread her webbing apart to look at it better it gets bigger at the base and is more pink at the base

Dr. John :

Something more like this?

Dr. John :

Full Size Image

Customer:

closer....

Dr. John :

Okay and you can feel more of a mass under the skin as well, where it originates from, or does it seem like the entire portion of the growth is above skin?

Customer:

the top of it looks like that but its like a cone

Customer:

....

Customer:

i believe its all above the skin

Dr. John :

Okay thanks. A certain type of growth, a histiocytoma for example, can have very variable appearances so I don't want to get to hung up on if it looks exactly what I am showing, as long as it looks similar.

Dr. John :

It is good news that the growth doesn't seem to be buried under the skin at all.

Dr. John :

Since Mischa is only 2 1/2 yrs old, any sort of malignant tumor would be extremely unlikely (however not impossible, so I want you to watch this very closely).

Customer:

ok, but if I do look at it looks like it could be burried, is that more serious? ANd what am I watching for/

Dr. John :

If you are not comfortable with the wait and see approach for a few weeks, you can easily have the growth tested with your veterinarian. Basically a needle biopsy (with a vaccine sized needle) can be introduced into the growth. Cells will be collected into the needle which then can be sprayed onto a slide. The slide is then sent to a pathologist to tell us exactly what it is.

Dr. John :

That would be your first option.

Customer:

and is this expensive?? Not that it matters, what needs to be done will be done

Dr. John :

Second option would be monitoring the growth for a few weeks (even a few months if it isn't changing in size or appearance) and seeing if it goes away on its own.

Dr. John :

Histiocytomas are very common in young dogs, are benign growths, and typically disappear within a few months after appearing without any surgery or anything needed. They are also very commonly found on the feet, legs, and head - same location as your dog's.

Customer:

Yeah, I'm not good at waiting...

Dr. John :

Papillomatous growths are also common and benign - will not go away most likely but will not change in size at all over the course of time.

Customer:

so it could be no big thing

Dr. John :

I needle biopsy, exam, and review from pathologist at my clinic would cost about $125-150 to give you an idea on price.

Dr. John :

I'd say much more likely than not, it is no big deal.

Dr. John :

And there is a good chance it could entirely go away on its own, which would be nice :-)

Customer:

For sure, she has been licking a little bit and doesn't like us to touch it. So I hope it goes away. I think I will take her in anyway. $125-$150 to know she is going to be ok, it well worth it

Dr. John :

Yes that will give you a definitive answer as to what it is (and is the only way to get a definitive answer) - NO ONE can tell you exactly what it is just by looking at it

Customer:

Sounds like that is what we will do.

Dr. John :

She may also benefit from an e-collar if she is really licking it a lot - this will further irritate it and potentially cause it to get infected, etc.

Customer:

Yeah, I will watch her licking and if it get bad we will try that.

Dr. John :

Sounds great. Well good luck with everything! Let me know if you need any further assistance in the future. Happy Thanksgiving.

Dr. John :

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
ACCEPT" button when you are satisfied with the answer. This will ensure that I am compensated for helping you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated.

Understand that the purpose of this communication is to guide you in making informed decisions for your pet with recommendations of diagnostics and treatments that you can discuss with your veterinarian, as a patient-client relationship has not been established on the site (this requires a physical examination).

You can always request me through my profile (Dr. John) if you would like further assistance in the future with your pets.

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. John :

Welcome :-)

Experience: significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian