Are red dogwood berries poisonous to dogs?
Hello there,How many did he have? How long ago were they ingested?How much does the dog weigh?
Dont know how many, they were in her vomit. She threw up 4 big piles of her breakfast and I saw them in there. She ate them about 7 am or 930 am. Shes been sleeping, but that is normal for this time of day as we have 2 big dogs as well, They all play hard in the morning and then sleep till about 2 or so. She weighs about 30 lbs.
The berries are listed as mildly toxic to dogs. Vomiting and diarrhea would be the most common result. A few berries would not likely cause problems but if a large amount is ingested vomiting would not be a surprise. A very large amount could also result in obstruction from the seeds inside. The berries are not listed as toxic enough to cause liver or kidney damage. I would try to clean up as many of the berries as possible if she has been ingesting them to be safe. Most dogs will not eat them. Pepcid AC can be used at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours as needed to settle the stomach if the vomiting continues. If she goes off her food the abdomen should be radiographed to rule out obstruction.