Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dogs cancerous tumor is bleeding in his mouth. How do I

My dog's cancerous tumor is bleeding in his mouth. How do I stop the bleeding?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.

Rebeccavet :

Do you have plans to have the tumor removed?

Rebeccavet :

Has a biopsy been done; do you know what kind of cancer he has?

Customer:

Thanks.

Customer:

Yes he has Melanoma.

Customer:

He did have a biopsy.

Customer:

Vet said he would be dead by Sept 1st but he is still going...

Rebeccavet :

And what kind of cancer does he have?

Customer:

Unfortunately, it does seem that the tumor keeps growing in his gum and now spreading under his tongue...Melanoma

Rebeccavet :

Did they talk to you about the melanoma vaccination?

Rebeccavet :

Once a tumor starts bleeding, there is not much to do to control the bleeding except to remove the tumor, or shrink it with chemotherapy.

Customer:

yes, but they said it would only prevent the cancer from mestastizing to the rest of the body, it would not help reduce the tumor or its growth

Rebeccavet :

Sometimes you can temporarily control the bleeding with cautery (applying a topical medication to control bleeding, but hard to do in a mouth) or squirting a solution containing epinephrine onto it.

Customer:

They said chemotherapy doesn't work on this type of cancer

Rebeccavet :

But the only way to stop it and keep it stopped, it to remove or shrink it.

Rebeccavet :

There is a melanoma vaccine, for dogs with melanoma in the mouth, that is sometimes very effective.

Customer:

They said there is no way to shrink it. They removed it once but it grew back so fast they said they wouldn't try to remove it again...

Rebeccavet :

Have you talked to a veterinary oncologist to learn all your options?

Rebeccavet :

Again, I would be talking to some one about the melanoma vaccine. It does shrink melanomas in the mouth.

Customer:

I spoke to a vet of internal medicine at a cancer specialist veterinary practice

Rebeccavet :

Radiation therapy has shrunk these tumors, as well.

Rebeccavet :

If the specialist thinks there is no treatment that will work, and you don't want to do more surgery, then you may be at the point that the tumor is winning the battle.

Customer:

wow, no vet ever told me that it could be reduced in size without surgery. No vet recommended radiation, either.

Customer:

Right, I understand.

Rebeccavet :

I always recommend talking to a veterinary oncologist to find all the latest options.

Rebeccavet :

Do you have any more questions I can answer?

Rebeccavet :

I am so sorry about your dog.

Rebeccavet :

This is a terrible cancer.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX since the veterinary practice specialized in cancer they would have an oncologist they spoke to

Rebeccavet :

I would have assumed that as well.

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Rebeccavet :

Maybe something about your dog's particular cancer made them think radiation or the vaccine would not be good for him.

Rebeccavet :

If you have more questions, please ask.

Rebeccavet :

If not, please consider accepting;

Customer:

He is 11 yrs old-I don't know if that made a difference

Rebeccavet :

That is the only way the website credits me for my advice.

Rebeccavet :

Not to me, I would still look into the vaccine or radiation or further treatment if this were my own 11 year old.

Customer:

Thanks

Rebeccavet :

You are welcome.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.