Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

There is a red rash on my dog stomach. What is this?

My English Bulldog has a red rash on her stomach. Its looks like it would be painful but she shows no sign of discomfort. She also does not itch it. She also now has scabs on her body. She has about 8 different scabs. They also don’t seem to itch her. When I touch them it does bother her.

I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is she licking the rash?
2- Is her skin flaky?
3- Did the vet do any testing on the rash like skin scrapping, culture, etc.?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She does not lick her rash or the scabs. When we touch the scabs on her body she does show discomfort. Her skin is not flaky. The vet didn't do any testing on the rash, she did not seem concerned. The rash on her stomach sometimes scabs over on the edges of the rash. The rash covers most of her stomach and goes back to her vaginal area. The scabs are new and are all over her body in about 8 different spots.

The scabs you are describing could be consistent with a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma). The rash on the other hand sounds like it could be a fungal infection. I would recommend you speak to your veterinarian about starting her on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, this is what you can do:
1- Pick up chlorhexiderm shampoo and bath her 2-3 times a week for the next 2 weeks.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy Miconazole cream and apply on the rash once a day.
3- Place an ecollar (cone) on her to make certain she does not lick the cream off.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for oral antibiotics, +/- skin culture.
Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.