Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has had a rabies shot. We found a dead skunk in the

My dog has had a rabies shot. We found a dead skunk in the yard. It is being tested for rabies. If it is positive, can my dog still get rabies even though it has had it's shots? I don't know if my dog got near the dead skunk.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
My only real concern would be if the skunk tested positive and had injured your dog through a bite wound.

Even then, Tilla would be protected as long as her vaccine is up-to-date. The county should be notified of what has happened, which I assuming was already done if the skunk is being tested.

Sounds like you are in good shape with very little concern.

However, if your dog does have any wounds, notify your vet immediately for supportive treatment, including immediate oral antibiotics.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns, please contact an emergency facility.
I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:

or, begin a question with Dr. Andy and I will see it when online.