CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I bought cough medicine for my dog how much do I give her?

I bought cough medicine for my dog how much do I give her? We do not have any vets nearby and I am hoping to get to the bottom of this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did the coughing start?

Is there discharge from the nose?

What medication did you purchase?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No discharge

Started 3 days ago

Purchased Alcohol free DM - Active ingredient - Dextromethorphan

She has also seemed to lost her appetite today?????

Cough medications can be considered.

Dextromethorphan (
link here) - 0.25-1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours.

Often before using cough medications, x-rays are used to make sure that there is not a primary or secondary pneumonia as cough medications slow down the treatment of pneumonia.

I hope this information is helpful
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am scared of kennel cough - should I be???

Maybe heart failure?

Maybe I research too much on the internet

Kennel cough is self-limiting and rarely life threatening.

Heart failure in a dog of this age would be unlikely - unless there was a congenital heart condition.

I hope this information helps!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If I treat it as kennel cough how long before I see results

How much cough syrup should I give her

Typically 7-10 days.

The dose in milligrams is listed above.

Good luck and please click accept.