Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

7 day old puppy has raspy breathing sounding like congestion. is nursing well and not let

7 day old puppy has raspy breathing sounding like congestion. is nursing well and not lethargic. Breating normally while sleeping. Noisy breathing when nursing or crawling to find a teat, then settles down and nurses quietly. noisy raspy breathing when stressing or moving around. Heart beat sounds normal and same as litermate.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is he coughing?

Is he gaining weight like the other puppies?

Have you seen any milk come out of his nose?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not coughing, gaining weight the fastest, no milk out the nose
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

This most likely is not related to anything harmful as many puppies will make snorting or congested sounds when nursing and moving around. I have heard this many times before. Some puppies will even make more snorting/congested noises after nursing if some of the milk gets caught in the upper respiratory tract or in the nasal cavity. Even though it is common I would always recommend monitoring the puppy for any problems such as not gaining weight, coughing, or milk draining form the nose as this can indicate a problem. The most common disorder that would cause these symptoms would then be a cleft palate (hole in the roof of the mouth that connects the oral and nasal cavities) or an upper respiratory infection.

Another possibility would be slight difficult with getting air through the nose. Look to make sure that the nostrils are both open and clean. If the nostrils look very narrow then a surgery when he is older may be needed to make sure this is not a life long problem.

Overall, I do think monitoring this puppy will be just fine as based on the weight gain and nursing behavior I do not see any concerns at this time.

Hope this helps - please reply if you have any questions.