Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

My dog ripped his whole toenail off. Just the exposed fleshy

My dog ripped his whole toenail off. Just the exposed fleshy surface is left. I have cleaned it with peroxide, mild soap, and warm water until it runs clear (feet were muddy) but it won't stop bleeding. I let it dry and he laid down for awhile (2 hours) but when he gets up, it bleeds. He just went out for the last time tonight and I am wondering if it will stop by morning. He sleeps on our bed and doesn't move much. Should I take him to the vet? It seems like there would be very little they could do but give him a clotting agent. Too, what about pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 4 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. At this point it isn't necessary to take him to the vet. You can apply some corn starch to the toenail. It will help it clot. After that apply some triple antibiotic ointment and wrap his foot (not tight) to keep the nail covered. An ice pack over the top of the bandage will help with pain and also improve clotting. Change the bandage and clean the nail twice daily with tepid water. If he starts to act more painful or the nail becomes swollen or reddened then have him seen by a vet. After several days of treatment the nail bed should toughen up some and the bandage can be left off. The safest over the counter pain medication is aspirin but in this case it worsen his ability to clot and make the bleeding worse so you'll have to rely on the ice. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Neosporin with pain relief okay?
That's fine to use.