Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

My female black pug has blood in her urine her urine is red

Customer Question

My female black pug has blood in her urine her urine is red stained color. It appears there are some blood clots too. She also has a bright red rash on her stomach. What is wrong with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Steve O. replied 3 years ago.

Steve O. :

HI, I'm Dr Steve

Steve O. :

Howlong has she had the blood inher urine?

Steve O. :

Blood in urine is very suggestive of a urinary tract infection (UTI). SOm efemales as they age, become more prone to UTI and they develop these symptoms. THe redness in her bell y may be from her licking or scratching her belly. A UTI cancause a burning sensation and if that sensation is severe enough a dog wil lick or scratch in an attempt to relieve the burning feeling.

Steve O. :

The treatment for UTI is antibiotics . I typically use Trimethoprm SUlfa or Enroflaxacin ( Baytril) . THese seem to do a better job at clearing up UTIs than Cephalexin. I also give these dogs pain medicine t help relieve the burning sensation. It sounds like you have experienced this problem with her before. In order to get these medicines you wil need to take her to a vet to confirm the UTI possibility and get the proper treatments for her. A urine test will show if there is an infection and if it is looked at under a microscope, the presence of urinary crystals can be determined . If these are present then there is more medicines and possibly a special food ot help dissolve the crystals.

Customer:

2 days. She has had the same symptoms in the past she has had crystals before in her urine too. When I get home from work it is dark out all i can see is the bloody urine.

Customer:

Thank you

Steve O. :

Has she been on any diet to dissolve crystals in the past?

Customer:

No she is very finicky the dr never suggested a diet. She eats caesar wet food and I fix her chicken, carrots and brocolli. We have spent over 15,000 dollars at the vet and havent gotten her cured yet.

Steve O. :

Depending on which crystals are present in the urine there are diets that can be fed (hopefully she will eat them) that will dissolve crystals and prevent them from reforming. It is possible that these crystals may have been present off and on and are waht is causing her recurring UTIs and blood in the urine.

Steve O. :

When I have a case like this I either look at teh urine and identify the type of crystals or send them to a lab to have them identified. Once this is done, then the proper diet and medicine can be chosen to help reduce the crystals and hopefull prevent the UTI from recurring as frequently.

Customer:

where do I find the diet or should I take her to the vet tomorrow. We are going to a different vet now. she hasnt seen him yet.

Steve O. :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. If you have more questions, please continue

Customer:

Thank you . You have been very helpful. I' m not as worried now.

Steve O. :

I think a differnet vet is a good idea. The diet depends on the type of crystals so have your new vet check a urine sample and identify any crystals present and she can recommend a diet to help.

Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience