Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Dog Veterinary

my dog seems to have some pain on her left side between where

her ribs end and her... Show More
her ribs end and her back hip bone. When i touch there she yelps - it doesnt look swolen or feel any different than the other side. She is eating fine and still has boundless energy.

she is a boxer, 3yrs old, she had pancreatitis about 2yrs ago but has had no problem with it since - could this pain be the pancreatitis coming back? Maybe its just a pulled muscle?

what can i do... im waiting for my vet to open in the morning
Hello.

This does not sound like pancreatitis. Pancreatitis causes vomiting as the #1 sign. Pain is also present, but without vomiting it's not pancreatitis.

It sounds more like back pain or a muscle sprain/ strain in the big lumbar muscles of the back. This can lead to reluctance to jump/ do stairs and also pain on palpation.

Most of these will resolve over a few days with rest and pain meds. If you want to give something at home, you can give over the counter Aspirin at a dose of 5 mg per lb every 12-24 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

thats what i thought it might be. Is there anything internal in that area that might just effect her left side? the right side is fine and underneith also seems fine to touch.

is there a specific type of asprin that is best for dogs?

The spleen is is on that left side, but a splenic problem would likely result in labored breathing, vomiting and pale gums. Not too likely here.

Buffered Aspirin is best as it's easier on the stomach.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
thanks so much!
You're very welcome.