Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

Is Dr. Georges plaque blast safe for dogs. I was reading

Is Dr. George's plaque blast safe for dogs. I was reading some of the ingredients, and looked up most, and two concern me sodium hexametaphosphate, propylene glycol.

Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

This product is very safe. None of the ingredient's in the spray are likely to cause any side effects at all. This spray may help with the plaque/tartar on the crown or the tooth surface, but unfortunately the spray is not very effective to remove the bacteria that collects under the gums. The bacteria under the gums is the real problem as this causes periodontal disease in dogs.

Overall using the spray is very safe, but I would suggest talking to your vet about something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is an effective way to try to keep the bacteria levels down in the mouth where an antibiotic usually clavamox or clindamycin is given the first 5 days of every month.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Matt. I assume I can use the plaque spray in conjunction with the antibiotics?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Yes you can. Very safe to use together.