CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Dog has occasional dry cough. Like she has something in throat.

Dog has occasional dry cough. Like she has something in throat. Started yesterday. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did this start?

How old is your dog?

Breed?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

started yesterday

about 8 yrs. old

golden retrever

Is there discharge from the nose?

A change in the sound of the bark?
-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no discharge

does not bark

seems ok most of the time but then just coughs for several minutes. I have seen it happen 2x tonight and once yesterday. I am not here a lot of the time.

Based on your history, including age, common causes would include:

1) Kennel Cough

2) Pneumonia

Other causes are possible as well, but can not be ruled out based on history alone - such as heart disease..

With that said, if the signs persist or worsen, I would recommend a check-up with your veterinarian.

They may recommend x-rays to make sure there is no evidence of pneumonia and also to listen to the heart and look at the heart on the x-rays with the lungs.

If there is a concern for infection, antibiotics will likely be prescribed.

For congestion, many owners find humidification helpful. This is achieved with a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower - this will allow humidification and help to moisten the airways for mucous breakdown and to improve congestion.

While Dextromethorphan (link here) can be used, pneumonia should be ruled out before this is used.

I hope this information is helpful
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet