Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience

my dog just threw up blood with a tape worm then pooped blood

my dog just threw up blood with a tape worm then pooped blood as well why is this? she has also been lethargic not wanting to drink
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - This certainly sounds like parvo to me. Can you tell me please what kind of treatment for parvo she was receiving although she hadn't been symptomatic? Other causes of bleeding from both ends include gastrointestinal parasites such as hookworms and rodenticides that contain anticoagulant poisons. (I don't believe that the tapeworm was the cause of Voodoo Child's vomiting and diarrhea. I suspect it just happened to be present and was thrown up with everything else).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im using parvaid with colloided silver and pedialite was doing it 4 times a day she has been vaccinated and had a booster vac when i found out about gremalin testing positive for parvo and the other 2 pups that were being treated are fine now and showing no signs of parvo anymore drinkin and eating on there own and energy levels are back where as voodoo was drinking and eating fine until today and her energy level was out of this world lol.... i dont think it smells the same as my other puppy when he had is the diarrhea had no poop in it just watery blood

i was told that it would not hurt to treat dogs for parvo even if they didnt have it so i did it as a precaution cause i couldnt stand to loose another one espesially one i was more attached to

(have been feeding boiled rice with boiled chicken for a bland diet)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

also prior to about 3pm today her poops have been solid i check her temp every time i give her meds and it hasnt been high or low but tonight when i pulled the thermometer out to read it, it had a small amount of blood on it

Thank you! I dearly hope that it's not parvo in spite of your good care - in some dogs the vaccine just doesn't "take" so they're left unprotected. I think you'd better have her tested to be sure. Do you live where I have to worry about hookworms or giardia? Has she been wormed at least twice with a product that's effective for both of those parasites - fenbendazole (Panacur) or Drontal Plus?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, only one time with drontal when she was about 2 months i didnt know they needed it more than once and i dont understand what you meand by "Do you live where I have to worry about hookworms or giardia?" i planned on getting her tested tomorrow when the vet opens but just trying to make sure this isnt a need to go to an emergency vet now situation because i dont know if there is one anywhere close to me. before finding this site i googled it and i did read where it could be worms but once again i just needed to ask an "EXPERT" and not go off other peoples word and then have something happen to her
I understand. Hookworms are found throughout the United States but most prevalent in the midwest, eastern seaboard and deep south. Giardia are usually found in areas next to or fed by mountain streams. Yes, worming should be done at least twice two weeks apart. Drontal is a good product. This is an emergency if it's parvo. Parvo can kill quickly as you know. It's her bleeding and the lethargy that concerns me which is more characteristic of viral infection than parasites. What time is it where you live? Perhaps waiting until the morning wouldn't be prohibitive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im on the same time you are i live in north central oklahoma
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think the closest emergency vet is 2 hours away and it is already 240 here
Actually, I live on the big island of Hawaii. I'm 5 hours earlier than you. It seems silly for you to see someone at 5AM if you can see someone at 8AM - do you agree? At 5 months of age I don't expect the kind of peracute awful parvo we see in the very young.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i definately agree plus gas prices to drive that far aswell thank you for all your help will let you know if it was indeed parvo...and sorry about mistaking where you live because this site told me you lived in texas. rather silly when that is a big difference

Yes, please let me know how things go. You can save this conversation and return to it later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i took her to the vet just got her out but she just pooped like a dark brown tarry looking solid poop but smells the same as when she was throwing up should i be concerned or is it just her passing what was wrong with her. they also wasnt sure if it was parvo or not they said it could have been worm infestation too

That sounds like the tail end (sorry, terrible pun) of the gastrointestinal problem. The stool has firmed and the tarry look suggests digested rather than fresh blood. Subsequent stools should be more and more normal. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. My best to Voodoo Child!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol that's fine and that's what I thought to that it was digested blood and thought its just finishing working the rest the way through her body and no problem for the accept you deserved it thank you for all your concern and help it was much appreciated !!!!!!
You're quite welcome. You're welcome to return to this conversation if something new comes up. You can save the conversation by bookmarking the page or perhaps you have a "save" link on your page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you much have a wonderful rest of you day!