Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

how much prednisone should be given to a 65 pound dog with

Customer Question

how much prednisone should be given to a 65 pound dog with skin allergies. His condition has improved with steroids in the past. Should he be given a cycle of them or or long term since they come back when he is off of the steroids.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

What mg size did your vet prescribe for him?

Is he currently licking/chewing his feet?

Does he itch seasonally or year round?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its not seasonal and he is not licking his paws. He is a white pit mix that is pinkish red around the mouth, eyes, ears, neck mostly. He is itchy, but relieved with benadryl. He has scabs on his neck and chest from scratching. what is an appropriate dose and corse of steroids. He weighs 65 pounds

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
I really want to help you because I have a dog with allergies and never like seeing any dog itch badly. Without examining your dog unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe a medication like this. If your vet has prescribed this medication for you I can help you with advice.. Has your vet given him a prescription of this medication? If so what size or mg dose is this medication?

Also is the recent itching seem better with the Benadryl or is it not helping now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THE VET GAVE HIM 20 MG A DAY X 3 DAYS, THEN 15 MG A DAY X 2 DAYS, THEN 10 MG A DAY X 2 DAYS, THEN 5 MG X 2 DAYS. I GIVE HIM BENADRYL AND IT MAKES HIM GROGY, BUT COMFORTABLE. I GIVE HIM VIT E, C, AND A. I ALSO GIVE HIM OATMEAL BATHS.

JUST WONDERING IF HE MAY BE BETTER ON A LOWER DOSE OF STEROIDS, LONG TERM.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for that information.

Yes if he seems to be itching and the Benadryl is making him groggy then a lower dose of the prednisone would be recommended. The smallest effective dose is the best for him long term. I would suggest trying 5 mg every day or even better you can try 5 mg every other day. My dog weighs 50 pounds and I give her about 5 mg every other day to every third day and this seems to keep her very comfortable during allergy season. Watch for side effects such as increased drinking and urinating, and decrease the dose even more if this is seen. At 5 mg every other day or even every day this medication is safe to stop if the side effects are getting bad.

Hope this helps - please reply if you have any other questions.