CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My 13 yr old yorkie has been waking up yelping in pain it seems

My 13 yr old yorkie has been waking up yelping in pain it seems to get better during the day but at night its everytime he moves. I dont know what to do, when i took him to the vet he had no problems cause it was during the day but at night its everytime he moves. I know its some kind of pain just dont know what?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Have you noticed?

Reluctance to jump or go up and down the stairs?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only when he first gets up he doesnt seem to want to move. I have touched all his limbs and they seem fine.
With the history of pain after a night of rest, this is quite classic for arthritis - stiff joints - and this loosens up as the day goes on.

That is the textbook definition for this.

In this breed, the more common causes for this include:

1) Knee pain
- One knee problem in this breed can be a luxating patella (knee cap) - LINK HERE

2) We can also see hip pain, such as arthritis - LINK HERE

3) Finally, in breeds such as this we can see back pain. While again, this can be a temporary injury, other common back pain in breeds such as this is a slipped/herniated disc - LINK HERE

Regarding pain management in dogs for situations such as this, common options to consider include:

1) NSAIDS (like ibuprofen - BUT SAFE FOR DOGS!)
- Rimadyl (LINK HERE)
- Deramaxx (LINK HERE)
- Meloxicam (LINK HERE)

2) Tramadol (an opiod like morphine used in dogs) - LINK HERE

3) Glucosamine is another option to consider - over the counter (EXAMPLE HERE)

I hope this information is helpful!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet