Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my dog has a lump on her right side, near the lower rib cage.

my dog has a lump on her right side, near the lower rib cage. It does not seem to be painful for her, she appears fine otherwise. It almost seems like it is the rib, it is hard, non movable and as I said, not painful. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

No, this is nothing to worry about. they will have "floating ribs" that may have a small bony area that does not cause any harm and is clinically insignificant finding. Considering Indie's young age, this is merely extra bone development that will not hurt her and will not require treatment.

Of course, if this should grow, then you will need an exam but if it remains the same size with no pain, then this is extra bone development and harmless.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX