Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Dog ate a plastic sandwich bag 10 minutes ago. The dog is about 40 pounds. The plastic b

Dog ate a plastic sandwich bag 10 minutes ago. The dog is about 40 pounds. The plastic bag does not have a zipper. Should I induce vomiting? What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The safest thing to do is to induce vomiting by giving Scrappy 4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide. If he has not vomited this bag within 10 minutes, do it again. This bag may or may not cause him problems but considering Scrappy's age, I would worry that if this bag caused an obstruction, surgery would be very risky....it is safer to remove it.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has been a little over 30 minutes and the vet emergency clinic recommended to not induce vomiting. So, what is the likelihood of letting it pass and trying things to keep the stool soft?
I am surprised that the ER clinic did not recommend inducing vomiting since this can be done within 2 hrs of ingestion. There is a very good chance that this will be digested in the stomach with the stomach acids and will go through the tract easily.

It will not hurt to give Scrappy 2 inches of Laxatone or Petromalt every 4 hrs to help this bag slide through the tract and not cause an obstruction. This can be purchased at the pet store and works well as a laxative for dogs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds reasonable. What is meant by inches of Laxatone or Petromalt? Are these solids?
It comes as a paste like in a tooth paste tube so give 2 inches of the paste every 4 hrs during the day. This should be enough.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.