Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

How much lasix can you give a 14 lb dog per day

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

If he's having labored breathing, then I would consider taking him to an ER vet where they can give supplemental oxygen and IV injections of Lasix to help get over this episode of CHF.

If that is not an option, then you can give up to 7 mg per kg (3.5 mg per lb) of lasix at a time. That is the high end of the dose I'll give as an injection in bad CHF dogs. I'm also not afraid to give that amount hourly if needed until the signs start improving. There really is not a "maximum dose" of Lasix. You dose to effect. If there is fluid in the lungs, then you keep giving it until those lungs dry up. I would go ahead and give 40 mg now and repeat it every 4 hours as needed until he's better. This is assuming you are unable to get to an ER vet for injectable meds.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I would love to take him to an ER vet,but funds are tight right now. I am trying to get to Monday to get him in. So I am assuming the additional coughing is because of the fluid in the lungs. How will I know if I have given him too much lasix, or will I know. He tolerates 60 per day very well. A little low on potassium, but I give him banana to supplement that. Also should I give him the hydrocodone.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
It's actually hard to give too much lasix. Just make sure he's eating ok and you're supplementing potassium. Also make sure he has constant access to water. You give the Lasix until they stop the coughing/ labored breathing.

I would not give Hydro. I don't like to give cough suppressants in heart dogs. I would rather treat the underlying problem- the heart- and watch to see if the coughing/ labored breathing resolves as the lungs dry up. Suppressing the cough with Hydrocodone can complicate things and make it harder to guage when to back off on the Lasix.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is eating great, and drinking plenty of water. I kinda did wonder about giving the cough meds, didn't seem to do much good anyway so I did not give him any at all today. His breathing at rest is still under 30 per minute.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
That's the most important thing- your resting respiratory rate (and effort) should guide your treatment. Under 30 with no abdominal pushing is perfect and that's what we want to see.

It's a tough thing to grasp not treating with cough suppressants, but if you think about why he's coughing (fluid in lungs or large heart pressing on bronchi) then it makes more sense. You want to shrink down the heart and move fluid rather than suppress via opiate receptors as the hydrocodone does. The other thing to think about is that opiates can suppress the respiratory drive so they may actually work a bit harder to breath when you give those opiates.

My heart dogs I'll put on Lasix (with that wide dose range), Enalapril (or Benazepril) and Pimobendan. The Pimo and Enalapril are pretty set doses- the Lasix I'll leave up to the owners to dose as needed.

Sorry for the rambling- just trying to give you a clear picture.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I appreciate all the help, the more I learn the better. This is my second dog with CHF, and I have one more with beginning stages...boy did I get lucky.

I know with kids you don't want to suppress a cough, so it makes sense you would not want to do that with a dog either.

I would not say his breathing is perfect when he is sleeping, but I am not really alarmed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
You need to stop picking the short straw!

If he's breathing normally when sleeping, then you have this CHF controlled. That's what you want to see. I would just continue what you're doing by upping the dose a day or two and then drop back down to the usual Lasix dose starting Monday.

Nice work with him.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know I do!!!

Thank you for all you help this evening...or actually morning!