CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

shih-tzu: eye infection

I have a shih-tzu and she has an eye infection. This is the second time she has had one. The symptoms are the same she doesnt want to open her eye and she has gunk forming. I have a bottle of tobradex from the previous infection but not sure of the dosage. Can you help ?

Thanks
Debi
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When you saw your vet, did they do any eye testing?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think they may have tested for mites as she was losing some hair around the eye but it was determined it was from scratching. I dont think they did any other eye tests.

weight: normal;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;text-decoration: none;">When I am presented with a case such as this, tests that I would consider include:
- Using a special test to see if the tear production is normal (Schirmer - LINK HERE)
- Using a special test to see if there is corneal damage (Fluoroscein - LINK HERE)
- Measuring the pressure in the eye to test for glaucoma (LINK HERE)
- Looking into the eye with a light and a special lens to look at the retina

That will help determine if there is an infection of the cornea or ulcer of the cornea, if there is a dry eye tear formation problem (LINK HERE), and importantly to rule out glaucoma.

Based on those tests, we can have a very clear understanding of the eye abnormality and know how we can treat this well and effectively.

Options for at home care include:

- Warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second recommendation is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution. (EXAMPLE HERE).

- Often in these cases we also consider treatments such as antihistamines - an example being Benadryl (LINK HERE). (when opening the link, close the pop-up to read about the medications listed)

But again, seeing your veterinarian for the eye testing above to help identify the cause and specific therapies needed to resolve the problem is recommended.

I hope this information helps.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist