Dog Health Questions? Ask a Dog Vet for Answers ASAP
My dog ate a Reese's peanut butter cup. What should I do?
Dr. BJ Hughes :
Hi there. Welcome to Just Answer
How much does your dog weigh? and was this a single standard size Reese cup?
10 pounds. Yes standard Reese cup
Ok -- the level of milk chocolate in this is not enough for toxicity -- so that should be good news .
However -- there may be a chance of vomiting, diarrhea, and even pancreatitis due to the filling.
How long ago did this happen?
7-8 minutes ago
What can I do??
Ok -- you can either let this go and understand that there may be some stomach upset -- and if it continues for over 24 hours --then a vet visit may be necessary. And feed a bland food in small amounts for the next 24 hours -- cooked white rice is a good choice.
Or you can either go to your vet as soon as possible for them to induce vomiting - and simply eliminate the problem. Or you can do this at home with hydrogen peroxide -- 3% -- give 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds with bread or bland food -- and usually vomiting will occur in 15 - 20 minutes
If not -- it can be repeated once if it fails to produce vomiting the first time.
Thanks a lot. Name a few more bland food. Rice is not one of Jojo's favorite
Either way would work -- I do not recommend inducing vomiting at home if your dog has any health issues.
There are canned forms at the vet -- example is canned I/D from science diet.
Bread is a possibility but you do need to watch the amount, as are potatoes (cooked)
I don't have any peroxide. Got out of hospital yesterday for cardio version. Can't go to pharmacy at present. Can vomiting be induced any other way
There are instructions for using salt -- but I am not a supporter of using this on a small dog. But if you are able to check on Jojo through the night, give some bland food now (small amount), and do not be surprised by a little vomiting or diarrhea for the next 12 hours (which may or may not occur). If any of this goes on for over 24 - 48 hours (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy) -- then it will be time to see a vet
There are no other good choices for inducing vomiting at home