Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

My dog ate a Reese's peanutbutter cup. What should I do?

My dog ate a Reese's peanut butter cup. What should I do?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 5 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there. Welcome to Just Answer

How much does your dog weigh? and was this a single standard size Reese cup?

JACUSTOMER-rxkipxjs- :

10 pounds. Yes standard Reese cup

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- the level of milk chocolate in this is not enough for toxicity -- so that should be good news .

However -- there may be a chance of vomiting, diarrhea, and even pancreatitis due to the filling.

How long ago did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-rxkipxjs- :

7-8 minutes ago

What can I do??

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- you can either let this go and understand that there may be some stomach upset -- and if it continues for over 24 hours --then a vet visit may be necessary. And feed a bland food in small amounts for the next 24 hours -- cooked white rice is a good choice.

Or you can either go to your vet as soon as possible for them to induce vomiting - and simply eliminate the problem. Or you can do this at home with hydrogen peroxide -- 3% -- give 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds with bread or bland food -- and usually vomiting will occur in 15 - 20 minutes

If not -- it can be repeated once if it fails to produce vomiting the first time.

JACUSTOMER-rxkipxjs- :

Thanks a lot. Name a few more bland food. Rice is not one of Jojo's favorite

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Either way would work -- I do not recommend inducing vomiting at home if your dog has any health issues.

There are canned forms at the vet -- example is canned I/D from science diet.

Bread is a possibility but you do need to watch the amount, as are potatoes (cooked)

JACUSTOMER-rxkipxjs- :

I don't have any peroxide. Got out of hospital yesterday for cardio version. Can't go to pharmacy at present. Can vomiting be induced any other way

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There are instructions for using salt -- but I am not a supporter of using this on a small dog. But if you are able to check on Jojo through the night, give some bland food now (small amount), and do not be surprised by a little vomiting or diarrhea for the next 12 hours (which may or may not occur). If any of this goes on for over 24 - 48 hours (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy) -- then it will be time to see a vet

There are no other good choices for inducing vomiting at home

JACUSTOMER-rxkipxjs- :

Ok