Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

My dog has a thick mucus coming from his nose , temperature

My dog has a thick mucus coming from his nose , temperature is normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long has Buddy had discharge coming from his nose?

What color is the discharge?

Is the discharge coming from both nostrils or one?

How long has he been on Doxycycline?

Has your vet taken any x-rays or performed any other tests?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

two years, clear, both, one year.

Buddy was diagnosed with pemphicus foliaceous two years ago and the only remnant from the disease is this mucus problem and deforming of his pads.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Has he been on prednisone or any different antibiotics recently?

Has a culture of the nasal discharge been performed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He has been off prednisone a year and it put 20 pounds on him , skin problem was cured except for his pads .

Culture was performed in vain.

Did you notice that I had a $5.00 credit with you when I signed on?

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again.

The discharge most likely is secondary from the pemphigus, though this could be due to something different such as a fungal disease in the nasal passages or unfortunately a tumor in the nasal passages. IF your vet has checked an x-ray, checked for a fungal disease and everything was normal then this is then probably due to pemphigus.

At this point, I would definitely consider having your vet switch antibiotics as the bacteria that is causing this discharge may be resistant to the Doxycycline. If the prednisone was causing much weight gain you, which it does unfortunately, I would suggest asking your vet about a medication called Imuran or Azathioprine to help control the pemphigus foliaceous. This drug has a similar effect on the immune system to try to control this immune mediated skin disease and may help reduce the amount of discharge from the nose also. Imuran does not cause any weight gain in dogs compared to the prednisone. If you and your vet do decide to try this medication instead you will have to have his cell counts checked in the blood to make sure that the medication does not suppress his immune system too much. Here is a link for further information.

If the culture results are not back yet then I would wait for these before deciding which antibiotic to use. If the results are back and are not helpful, then I would suggest trying a combination of antibiotics as this can help reduce an resistance. My suggestion would be a fluroquinolone antibiotic such as Zeniquin and a Penicillin type antibiotic such as Amoxicillin. Together these antibiotics should clear out most infections.

If this is not working and you haven't had him tested for a fungal disease or a tumor then you may have to talk to your vet about this also.

Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am going to accept your answer however I am curious about the $5.00 credit that I had. Has it been deducted from the $18.00 so the charge to my card will be $13.00 ?

Thank you for your advice Matt ; I am going to start out with another culture.

- Bob Tufo

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
If you have a credit for $5.00 then you should only be charged $13.00 for the question. Unfortunately I have no way at helping you with that part of your account, therefore after you accept the question you can either contact customer service if something is not correct with your account or put a reply on here and I will send your request to customer service. Thank you for the accept and best of luck!