Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9-yr old dog has a rawhide chew stuck in his throat. It

My 9-yr old dog has a rawhide chew stuck in his throat. It won't come up or go down. It is not blocking his airway it is just uncomfortable for him. He will not let us open his mouth to get it out. If he would I have a pair of long hemostats I could grasp it & pull it out with. He is resting but not sleeping and doesn't seem to be in distress. Should I call our emergency vet or can we monitor him and take him in the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. I would call your emergency vet. They most likely will need to sedate him and pull it out. I wouldn't leave the rawhide in there until tomorrow. I have seen some bad consequences because of that. He could aspirate part of the chew and really cause a respiratory obstruction or a bad foreign body pneumonia. I would recommend getting this out ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are taking him to the emergency vet now. Thank you so much for your help and backing me up against my husband's better wishes.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

You are very welcome. Good luck!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great news! I think when I got his leash and told him we need to go to the doctor, it scared it out of him! As we were walking out the door to go to the car, he started hacking and after more than 2 hours of having it lodged (we could see it at the back of his throat with a flashlight), he hacked it out! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! I truly appreciate your help!
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Great!! I guess the threat of going to the doctor helped!! I would look into his mouth again and make sure there are no more small pieces in there. Watch him for anymore gagging, coughing, lethargy, vomiting or inappetance. Have him evaluated immediately if that is the case. Good luck!!