Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has had watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing and congestion

My dog has had watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing and congestion for 2 days. Could she have a cold? If so, can I let the cold runs its course or take her to my vet.

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

What does the discharge from the nose look like?

Any coughing, vomiting or diarrhea?

How is her appetite?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The discharge is clear. No couching, vomiting or diarrhea. Her appetite has not changed.
Thanks for the information. A viral upper respiratory infection or inhaled allergies are most likely. As long as she is doing fine otherwise, it would most likely be ok to watch her a couple more days. In most cases, giving Benedryl is safe in case it is inhaled allergies. I usually use 1/2 of a 25mg tablet per 10-15lbs every 8-12 hours as needed. If no better in a couple days or getting worse at any time, I would definitely recommend getting her in to see your veterinarian. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband picked up generic antihistamine, chlorpheniramine maleate, in lieu of Bendaryl. The antihistamine is 4mg per tablet and my dog weighs 45 lbs. How much should we give her?
You can give her about 10mg (2.5) every 8-12 hours. Hope this helps.