CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

What does elevated enzyme level in dogs blood work indicate

What does elevated enzyme level in dog's blood work indicate? Her atl and atp levels came out twice as normal. Possible causes?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These enzymes indicate a liver dysfunction. The ALT is specific for liver function and the Alkaline Phosphatase is an enzyme that elevates when there are other issues such as liver dysfunction. Since your girl is so young, this may be caused by an infection or there could be something else going on. An Ultrasound of her liver would be your next step with a possible biopsy to know for sure what is causing this.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ATL level is 223; AST level is 155. Should this be a cause of concern?
yes, this is significant since this is more than 5 times normal (both normals are 8-20 U/L). I would be concerned and find out what is the cause for these liver specific enzymes to be elevated which would be an ultrasound and biopsy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm...our vet said 12-118 is normal for ATL. And 15-66 is normal for AST. According to him the almost twice the normal levels in dogs are not issues of concern. This is from a board certified surgeon who wanted to perform surgery but we decided to delay it until her enzymes levels go down. The surgeon however maintained that this is not alarming and should not cause us to delay the surgery. So I am confused here.
The ALT can go as high normal as 100 and normal AST can be as high as 55 so we are talking the same...

If this is transient, then they will be back to normal with diet within a week or 2, if not, then this must be examined...it also depends on the age of your girl and since she is young, this may not be significant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Dr. Loretta has gone offline - can I help clarify this for you?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, indeed. Would you kindly respond to my initial question. Thanks!
Your numbers above indicate an ALT of 223 and an ASTof 155

These are elevated, but not terribly elevated.

The elevation alone does not provide an answer for 1 specific cause.

Possible causes include:

- Hepatocellular injury (injury to the liver cells)
- Infection
- Inflammation
- Cancer

- Blood sample error (hemolysis for example)

There are several ways to proceed:

1) Conservative route - medical therapy and time.

Medications to discuss with your veterinarian would include Denosyl, Denamarin, or Milk thistle as examples. This are medications to help the liver. Some even start medications such as metronidazole and amoxicillin (antibiotics) in case there is an early hepatitis.

Use the medications for several weeks (2-3) and then repeat bloodwork.

If still elevated, and you wanted to be proactive, I would then consider an abdominal ultrasound.

The other option is to get an ultrasound now to further evaluate the liver to see if a more specific cause can be found with this non-invasive test.

Please let me know if this helps clarify this for you.
weight: bold;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;">___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Glad to help!
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist