Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog weighs 60 lbs. How much ivermectin should I give him

My dog weighs 60 lbs. How much ivermectin should I give him? Do I give this once a month? If it is injectable, will I have to give a shot or can I put it in some food and administer it? Thank you.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - Actually Heartguard's active ingredient is ivermectin. You can save a lot of money by using the 1% solution of ivermectin available in feed stores (usually labeled for horses and cattle but ivermectin is ivermectin) at a dose of 5mcg/# XXXXX body weight once monthly given directly into his mouth. He'll need 60# XXXXX 5mcg/# = 300mcg of ivermectin. There's 10,000 mcg of ivermectin in 1ml of a 1% solution, so you'll need to give 300/10,000 or 0.03ml of this solution monthly. That's a tiny amount so you should use a tuberculin syringe to dose accurately. To make it easier for you, you can give 0.1ml (a tenth of a ml) monthly - ivermectin is safe at 100 times the dose used for heartworm prevention. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
This response of mine should appear when you click on the email notice you'll get. The answer above is to simply give 0.1ml of a 1% ivermectin solution by mouth monthly. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it!