CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Hi, my dog is acting strange. She will not stop shivering

Customer Question

Hi, my dog is acting strange. She will not stop shivering today and noticed she was crying more and trying to get into the house past few days. I thought at first it was the bad weather she was afraid of. She had a cut on her leg a few weeks back. Could this be an infection? She is a japanese akita and its so hard to get her to a vets.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is she spayed?

Is she eating?

Drinking?

Vomiting?

Diarrhea?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She had her womb out a few years ago. She is eating and drinking perhaps not as much as usual. No vomiting or diarrhea.
What color are the gums?

Breathing normal?

Limping or lameness?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

seems to be breathing normal and not limping just really the shivering at the moment. Im not with her at moment but didnt notice any change to gums

Is she on any medications?

Does she have any past medical history that is important to know?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no medications and no past history apart from womb out
weight: normal;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;text-decoration: none;">The problem with trembling as a sign is that it us often non-specific and can be due to:
- Anxiety
- Pain
- Discomfort
- Fever
- etc.

You do not report other major signs of illness. If there were other signs of illness such as:
- Vomiting
- Diarrhea
- Lethargy
- Loss of appetite
- Belly pain
- Back pain

That would help explain where the trembling is coming from.

If the trembling does continue, an evaluation by your veterinarian (temperature, listening to the heart and lungs, etc) would be the first step to consider.

This way before spending money on tests that may or may not help, we can better help determine why there is trembling to better direct testing or even medical therapy

I hope these recommendations and tests get to the bottom of this for you!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet