Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

how much oxycodone or oxycontin can i give my 130 lb german

how much oxycodone or oxycontin can i give my 130 lb german rotti for pain-he is 10 years old-never had health issues until now-but now his back legs are in a lot of pain and he is having a hard time walking around
You asked this Dog question on 10/1/2011.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer, Thank you for your question about Malcolm.

Rebeccavet :

These are not drugs we usually use for pain in dogs. One problem is that the oxycodone has Tylenol in it, and many dogs can have problems, such as liver problems in dogs.

Rebeccavet :

I usually use tramadol, gabapentin, and nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs for back and leg pain in dogs.

Rebeccavet :

I also like using supplements like glucosamine, fish oil, and an herbal supplement called Doggone Pain, or DGP

Customer:

i have gabapentin-i cant take it so i can give it to him-also, the oxycodone i have is tylenol free-we are giving him salmon oil, however, it is not nearly enough anymore

Rebeccavet :

I still would try nonsteroidal antiinflammatories like carprofen, or Deramaxx or even aspirin along with the gabapentin and tramadol, before using a drug like oxycodone.

Rebeccavet :

I usually reserve strong narcotics for things like bone cancer. Most dogs with osteoarthritis don't need narcotics.

Customer:

ok i will do that. what dosage of aspirin and what dosage of gaba would i need to start him off on, and the max i would go to and i suppose also the rate of increase-also, if need be, i need to know a dosage of both the oxcodone and the oxycontin if appropriate that i could start him on and the max appropriate. also again, the rate of increase

Rebeccavet :

Give aspirin with food. If he vomits, do not give it again. He would take 325 to 500 milligrams of aspirin, twice daily. The dose of gabapentin would be 100 to 300 milligrams twice daily. It works best if given with tramadol, at 100 millgrams two to three times daily.

Customer:

is tramadol the same as oxycodone/oxycontin? i do not know much about different medications-only the ones prescribed to me by my doctor

Customer:

would 10milligrams of oxycodone 2x day be okay-

Rebeccavet :

No, tramadol is a drug that is not a narcotic, and is not a controlled substance like narcotics, but it does inhibit pain transmission is a way similar to narcotics, but is lots less expensive.

Rebeccavet :

You do need a prescription for tramadol.

Customer:

i had to give him aspirin once before-my vet recommended-he did not vomit-however, if he does, shall i continue with the gaba........oh so it is a nerve blocker-for lack of better words? can you please also let me know the oxy dosages so i dont accidently hurt him if we feel need to use it? i know what i am suppose to take from my doctor but not the dog-well the dog and i weigh about the same 130-135 but i dont know how it would work in a dog

Rebeccavet :

A dog as big as Malcolm, if you really want to (against the advice of veterinary pain and pharmocology experts, as well as myself), he would need 3 to 6 milligrams, twice daily. 10 milligrams is likely to make him drowsy.

Rebeccavet :

Oxycodone is just not a drug commonly used in veterinary medicine, so not a lot of information out there. I found one mention on a vets only website to give .1 milligram per kilogram, twice daily. Malcom weighs about 60 kilograms, so would take about 6 milligrams, but I would start at a lower dose to see what the effect is.

Customer:

i will and i thank you. he is such a loving dog-i just can not stand to see him in pain-we will first do salmon oil with aspirin and gaba at the rates you told me-perhaps for a week? then if no improvment, how much gaba can/should i go to? i will only use the oxy as a last resort if i can not get him out of pain-i just wanted to be SURE in the right doses it would NOT harm him

Rebeccavet :

I would still add the tramadol to the aspirin and gaba before going to the oxycontin.

Rebeccavet :

Any more questions for me?

Rebeccavet :

If so, please ask.

Rebeccavet :

If not, please consider accepting my answer. That is the only way the website pays me for my advice to you.

Rebeccavet :

Good luck with Malcolm. He has a caring and concerned owner.

Customer:

thank you i will have to get a script from my vet first. if i need vet advice on here again i will specifically choose you.

Rebeccavet :

Thank you for wanting to choose me!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.