CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog eats her owne crap why is that

my dog eats her owne crap why is that
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Often, eating feces is not because they are lacking something - but more a behavior that we see.

How can we try to deter this activity?

- Lace your dog's stools with:

-- > pepper

-- > bitter apple

-- > Tabasco sauce

-- > Lemon juice

The reason we lace the stool with these substances - is that they taste very bad. What then happens - they eat the stool - it tastes terrible - and they then learn not to do this in the future!

There is also a product on the market called Forbid (LINK HERE).

You add this to the dog's food, which makes the feces taste bad, and the hope would be to deter this activity that way.

I hope this information helps!

Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet