Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

what does it mean when a dog poops blood

Customer Question

what does it mean when a dog poops blood?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is this happening right now?

How much blood did you see?

How are his stools? Normal, Diarrhea, Hard?

Has he had anything unusual to eat? New food? New treats? Something outside?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he has not done it in the past 3 hours but there is no poop just pure blood that comes out in puddle forms we have not changed his food he spends most of the day outside so its possible he eat something he went to my sisters today and was playing and happy like nothing was wrong i'm very worried what can i do
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

That is pretty concerning. He may have gotten into rat poison. I would call your sister and ask if she knows of any rat poison at her house.

It can also be caused by what is called " hemorrhagic gastroenteritis." It causes sudden onset of severe rectal bleeding except there is usually diarrhea as well.

He may have eaten something like a stick, or a bone, and as it has passed through his gastrointestinal tract, it has pierced his colon and now there is bleeding.

All of these things are very serious and life threatening.

You may not like this but you can not stop rectal, or colon bleeding, at home. You need to get him to an emergency vet right away. Sorry : (

If he has gotten into rat poison, they will check his ability to clot blood and give him vitamin K injections which can help him clot blood. The way the rat poison works is it prevents the rats from being able to clot blood and they bleed out.

If he has hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, he will be given i.v. fluids and i.v. antibiotics.

If he has a foreign body causing rectal bleeding he will need surgery to stop it.

I wish there was something you could do at home but there really is not.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know there is no way he got in rat poison and he seams to be doing better thanks anyway but my intensions were to take him to the vet tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I would not let him have anything food until you take him to the vet in case he has a blockage or a gastrointestinal infection. Digesting the food may make the bleeding start again. Water is fine. If he has diarrhea during the night you can give immodium ad or pepto bismal.