Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

my dog temp is 99.3 normal 101, I have a hairless american

Customer Question

my dog temp is 99.3 normal 101, I have a hairless american terrier, she is acting ok should i be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

Thank you for your question about Reese.

Rebeccavet :

Why did you take his temperature? Was he acting sick?

Rebeccavet :

What kind of thermometer did you use?

Rebeccavet :

Is Reese spayed?

Customer :

dig thermometer

Customer :

spayed yes

Rebeccavet :

DId you take her rectal temperature? If she is acting normal, and not pregnant (99 is a normal rectal temp for a dog about to have puppies!), then I suspect a problem with your thermometer. Unless you have an ear thermometer made for dogs, and know how to use it (which is not that easy; dogs have much longer ear canals than humans and the thermometer has to "see" the ear drum.

Rebeccavet :

So if you don't have a dog ear thermometer, you have to hold a rectal thermometer inside the anus about 1/2 to 1 once, for about 30 seconds.

Customer :

rectal

Rebeccavet :

How long did you hold it in, and how far?

Customer :

until it beeped

Rebeccavet :

Why did you take her temp; is she sick?

Customer :

sick look in eye shaking like cold

Rebeccavet :

If it was not in far enough, it would beep but give you a lower than normal reading. That happens to me at the office every day with wiggly puppies that won't let me hold the thermometer in far enough the whole time, and I get falsely low temps.

Rebeccavet :

I would try it again, holding it in a little farther. If you were just inside the anus, you did not get an accurate reading. If anything, with the symptoms you describe, I would expect a higher than normal reading.

Rebeccavet :

Low temps of 99 usually mean a dog is about to have puppies (not your problem), is in kidney failure, or is severely dehyrated for some other reason than kidney disease.

Rebeccavet :

I don't think any of these are Reese's problem.

Rebeccavet :

If she is eating, drinking, and playful, she may just have an allergy, or a mild "cold".

Customer :

is there anyother things i should look for

Rebeccavet :

Thick discharge from the nose, bloody discharge from the nose, not eating would be reasons to call Reese's veterinarian.

Rebeccavet :

Vomiting or diarrhea that does not clear up on its on in a day or so.

Rebeccavet :

Any more questions for me?

Customer :

no

Rebeccavet :

If I can answer anything else at all, let me know.

Rebeccavet :

If not, please consider accepting my answer. That is the only way that the website will pay me for my advice; your satisfaction is the only way I get paid!

Rebeccavet :

Good luck with Reese, and hope I was helpful