How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7938
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a bag of craisins by ocean spray. They are dried

Resolved Question:

My dog ate a bag of craisins by ocean spray. They are dried cranberries that have been sweetened. Are these poisonous for her?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
How long ago did she eat them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It must have been around 9:00 last night
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 years ago.
Okay, thank you.
It's too late to make her vomit, so you'll just have to ride this one out. While grapes and raisins are known to be toxic to some dogs, craisins are not. They are however, very high in sugar and that could possibly cause problems with her digestive system. She may vomit and/or have diarrhea, but probably won't experience more than that.
Dogs' digestive systems are very much like ours, with the exception of a few things like grapes, raisins, garlic, onions and Xylitol artificial sweetener, they don't usually have a problem with what we eat.
It would be a good idea to withhold food today and see how she does getting rid of all those craisins.
If you think her stomach may be upset, give her one Pepto Bismol non-chewable caplet every four hours through the day for up to four doses. Tomorrow offer several small meals of her regular diet.
Hopefully she'll come through this adventure with no serious difficulty.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you