Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

My dog has been vomiting for 3-days, she wont eat, she drinks

My dog has been vomiting for 3-days, she wont eat, she drinks water, but she has a lack of energy, excessive drooling, and vomits clear, sometimes foamy clear substance. do you know why?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

Is Issie current on all her vaccines and deworming?

Customer:

I dont believe so. I rescued her from homelessness about 1 1/2 months ago so I'm not sure, but she still has her dew claws. The nearest vet is 60 miles from me so it hasn't been that easy to get her into a vet.

Dr. Deb :

Has she been around any ohter dogs or in a park where dogs are walked in the past couple of weeks?

Customer:

Yes, I manage an RV park and live on the property. I let her and my other dog (20 mo. old, vaccinations up to date) come out with me every morning to clean the restroom areas and groom the park. I just now thought about it, but I believe it was thursday I caught her eating on a cat carcass and disposed of it right away. If the cat had been poisoned could she be poisoned also?

Dr. Deb :

It is possible. Or, if she hasn't been vaccinated and came in contact with a dog or feces of a dog that was carrying the parvo virus.. she could have contracted it. Or she may have an intestinal obstruction, or pancreatitis.

Dr. Deb :

Are her gums and tonque pink?

Dr. Deb :

Is her abdomen tense, bloated, or painful?

Dr. Deb :

Can you take her rectal temp for me?

Customer:

She wont let me touch her mouth. I know her abdomen is bloated and painful. I dont have a therm. for her temp.

Dr. Deb :

Does her vomit smell bad?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Deb :

Real bad?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Deb :

What does she do if you touch her abdomen?

Dr. Deb :

Do you have a vet ER hospital in the area?

Dr. Deb :

If you do, she should absolutely be seen tonight.

Customer:

I went and touched her abdomen, and she let me rub it, she closed her eyes like it relaxed her.

Dr. Deb :

What if you attempt to gently but firmly squeeze on it from each side?

Customer:

she was in a sitting position, had just taken a drink of water, and when I pressed in she tensed some, but didnt move away.

Dr. Deb :

The symptoms, duration of the symptoms, the amount of vomiting, bloated belly, all warrant a visit to the vet tonight if you can. All of the possible causes, if left untreated, could become life threatening. So, again, if you can go tonight - would be best. If you can't you can try giving her some Pepcid tonight. No food for 12 hours, and only controlled amounts of water.

Dr. Deb :

How much does she weigh?

Customer:

I live in the deserts of Nevada that has no vet ER and the nearest vet clinic is 60 miles away. No one was open over the weekend either. I have some pepto bismol. Can she have it? She weighs about 60 pounds.

Dr. Deb :

Does the clinic 60 miles away have a vet on-call at night? I just want to be sure, as depending on what's going on, the cause, hours could make a difference.

Dr. Deb :

Is the Pepto liquid or tabs?

Customer:

pepto is liquid.

Dr. Deb :

Good... you can give her one tablespoon of Pepto.

Customer:

Ok, I will give it to her now, I have a baby medicine syringe. I will try again to call the vets office and see if there is an option to contact a vet for emergencies. I planned on taking her in as soon as I drop my daughter off at school. In your PERSONAL opinion do you think its poison?

Dr. Deb :

No, I think she may have ingested something that either caused severe GI upset, in turn causing pancreatitis, or an intestinal obstruction. And, there is always the possibility of having contracted the parvo virus.

Dr. Deb :

But, I cannot tell you definitively asn I have not examined her...

Dr. Deb :

I can't say for sure it's not a poison, but it is lower on my list of possibilities.

Dr. Deb :

Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Deb :

I hope I've helped.. I hope all goes well.

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX trying for an ER vet on-call now. You've been fantastic, thanks again.

Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience: Small animal vet - practicing since 2004