Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

my dog has bumps all over her body (under fur, no redness or

my dog has bumps all over her body (under fur, no redness or anything...yet...). She even has them on her face and paws, which are causing swelling that I'm afraid is painful for her...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Did the lumps come on quickly?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Any change in her breathing?
4- How many milligrams of Benadryl did you give and how often?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1-I just noticed them this morning, so sometime last night? She didn't have them yesterday.

2-approx. 65 lbs

3-her breathing seem fine. She has eaten a slice of cheese today (with Benadryl in it...) and drank some water today with no problems....

4-Just one adult dose, approx. 15 minutes ago

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Can you look at the bottle and see how many milligrams in one adult dose of Benadryl?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
25 mg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
The bumps that you are seeing is called "urticaria." This is an allergic reaction either to something she ate or came in contact. You have done the right move in starting her on Benadryl. The dose for Benadryl in dogs is 1mg per pound body weight. You will need to give another dose and half of Benadryl (+/-65mg). Continue to give her 2.5 tablets of 25mg of Benadryl every 8-12 hours. If by tomorrow the bumps are not gone, have her checked by your family veterinarian she will need additional medication (corticosteroids). If you notice her having difficulty breathing have her checked immediately by ER vet.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter