Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Companion animal veterinarian practicing for over 10 years.
4801514

Can dogs be fed cooked pork like roast or porkchops?

Can dogs eat cooked pork.. like a roast or pork chops?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Debbie replied 5 years ago.

Some dogs can tolerate it, but I would say that most dogs have trouble digesting pork. I wouldn't recommend it. It is very hard on their pancreas.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've been mixing as I've stated, but I really would like to serve him dry food mostly.. I've tried so many different ones and I tell you he will go two to two and a half days without eating anything.. this last time he lost a lot of weight doing this not eating thing.. he's gained some back .. but I'm noticing that he's eating the mix more than the dry. What can I do to get the opposite results and is there a dry dog food you know of that dogs just can't resist that has all the nutrients they need?

Picky eaters can certainly be a problem. We usually recommend adding flavor enhancers to dry food. Science Diet or Iams makes gravy to put on the food, or there is a canned product called mix-it which most patients really love when we add that to the food.