Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

hi my dog is pregnant i am not sure how far along she is but

hi my dog is pregnant i am not sure how far along she is but i think she is close to being due, she has heaps of milk and her belly is so big that its starting to cracking in serval place what should i do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

Thank you for your question. Are you asking what you should do to get ready for puppies, or are you asking how to tell how soon she is due?

Customer:

i want to no whether i should now take her to the vet since her belly is starting to crack like big lines accross her belly that are bleeding

Rebeccavet :

That is not normal. Even dogs huge with 14 big puppies usually do not get bleeding cracks. Are the cracks near or part of her milk glands?

Customer:

yeh some are rite next to her nipples and are cusing her nipples to get sores then other are like in between some of her nipples she has about 6 or maybe 7 crackes and they go from one side to the other

Rebeccavet :

My best advice would be to get her checked out, to find the reason for the bleeding. If she has a problem that is making her more likely to bleed and not clot properly, like a low platelet count, then when she has her puppies, she could bleed uncontrollably, or possible even bleed to death. I would have a vet look at these cracks, and maybe do some simple basic blood tests to check to be sure she can make blood clots normally.

Rebeccavet :

Also if these bleeding cuts are near her nipples, it may be painful when the puppies start to nurse, and you don't want to have to raise puppies by hand. I would get her checked out, to find out what is going on, and if you can get it cleared up before the birth.

Customer:

okay i have been putting just human nipple creamon the crackes and the sores to try and heal them, if the puppies are realy big will she give birth to them

Rebeccavet :

Most of the time, dogs give birth without needing any help. However, sometimes something goes wrong; maybe the puppies are too big, maybe the uterus is exhausted and can't push hard enough, but sometimes dogs need Caesarian sections. More often dogs that need C sections are small breeds, but not always.

Rebeccavet :

I recommend taking a dog's temperature every day; normal is between 101 and 102 F. If the temp drops to below 100, birth will probably begin within a day.

Rebeccavet :

Also, if labor has begun, and no puppy arrives within 45 minutes, then medical attention should be sought. We do C sections to save the life of the mother, and keep her from dying during birth.

Customer:

the cracks are not contiuniously bleeding but they did have dry blood on them which i have cleaned off, a vet is over a 110km a away is there anything oyu can recomemed i put on her nipples and the crackes at this stage

Rebeccavet :

I like a product called Biobalm; all natural ingredients and very good for topical superficial wounds. Topical vitamin E would also be good.

Customer:

is biobalm available at supermarkets?

Rebeccavet :

I have not seen it at supermarkets. In my area, it is available at pet stores, vet offices, and online (which won't help you, of course)

Rebeccavet :

You can get something called Bag Balm from a large animal vet; it is very good for cracks and dry skin and is meant to treat cow udders.

Customer:

i will check the local pet store and see what they have in, thnaks for all your help

Rebeccavet :

If so, please keep asking.

Rebeccavet :

If not, please consider accepting my answer; that is the only way I am paid anything by the website for my advice. I hope the birth goes well, and quickly.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.