Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has yellow poop.

My dog has yellow poop. What should I do?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer. I am happy to answer your question.

Does your dog have diarrhea? Is she eating well? Is she depressed?

Has she eaten anything odd?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Loretta,

Tyde has loose yellow poop. She is acting pretty much normal, although rested more often while playing ball. She has been eating and drinking as usual.

Thanks for the info.

It does appear that Tyde has a mild digestive disturbance. The yellow color of the poop comes from bile that is introduced into the stool and will resolve when you resolve this condition.

If this is minor and due to something she ate or stress, the best thing to do for now is to fast her for 24 hrs. This will allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal. At the same time, you can give Imodium AD 2 mg caplets at 1 caplet per 30 pounds of your dog’s weight given every 8 hrs.

After the fast, feed a meal of boiled chicken ¼ and rice ¾. If this helps, wean Tyde onto the regular meal over a 2 day period.

If this is not successful, you will have to have your vet examine Tyde to determine if there is something else -- such as a protozoa or infection -- that is causing this diarrhea.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do i know if this is minor or not? I assume I can wait and trying the fasting and chicken as you suggested
The fact that she is eating and drinking and active tells us that this is a minor disturbance....if this was more serious, your girl would not be active.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.