Dr. Norman Bayne
Dr. Norman Bayne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctorate in veterinary medicine and licensed in MI & UT; I will do my absolute best to help you.
14021421

Our dog ate part of a rubber ball. He has thrown up about 3

Customer Question

Our dog ate part of a rubber ball. He has thrown up about 3 times - no rubber ball the last time. Is there anything we can or should be doing for him? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Norman Bayne replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

Welcome to JustAnswer...my name isXXXXX a licensed veterinarian, and will do my absolute best to assist you.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

How long ago did Walter swallow the ball? How big was the ball?

Customer:

About 2 hours ago. The ball is about 3 inches in diameter and he only ate 1/2 of the outer layer.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

What breed/how big is he?

Customer:

He is a Coton de Tulear and he weighs about 20 pounds.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

I would get on this right away with his size and what he swallowed. Do you have hydrogen peroxide in the house........the first aid variety?

Customer:

yes i have the hydrogen peroxide. He isn't throwing up now. He threw a lot up earlier. He is resting now.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

You need to get the partial ball out of his gi tract. Could cause an obstruction if you do not. Give him 2 teaspoons orally and wait a few minutes for him to vomit. I will be here.

Customer:

Walter did not eat the ball. He just ate a thin layer of the outside, little bites of which he seems to have already thrown up, at least 60%. Do you think we still need to make him throw up?

Dr. Norman Bayne :

If he has already thrown up approx. 60% and it was thin layers, probably do not need to induce vomiting. I thought if may have been one partial piece. Sounds like it may be several small pieces. You should be okay to watch him. If he starts vomiting several more times and gagging, that will be a problem.

Customer:

The ball doesn't look like it has any big chunks out of it, mainly he chewed half the outer circumference in a relatively thin layer. Is there anything else we should do for him?

Dr. Norman Bayne :

No...just watch him since he is resting comfortably. This is a foreign body and most of it is either out of his system or in small pieces. If gastritis (inflammation of stomach wall), would advise something to sooth his system. Here, the more he gets out of his stomach, the better. He should be okay.

Customer:

How would we know if he wasn't ok? Is there any way to evaluate him.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

To evaluate distress, you can look at his gums. Should be baby pink filling back to pink after you press on them with your finger (they will turn white). This is the standard method to evaluate for shock and distress. Watch his demeanor. If he becomes restless, cannot lie down, turns in circles, is painful when you press on his abdomen........these are things to look for.

Customer:

What do we do if we see these things - take him to the emergency?

Dr. Norman Bayne :

That would be best; especially if his gums are white or pale and clammy feeling. I really don't think you will see this if he is resting comfortably right now. He would be in distress by now if he was going to be.

Customer:

Thank you so much. You are the best! We will sleep tonight (I hope). My husband will but I will wake up every half hour to check on him - maternal vigilance :) Sleep well yourself.

Dr. Norman Bayne, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctorate in veterinary medicine and licensed in MI & UT; I will do my absolute best to help you.