Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dogs gums are very red and swollen, and he has an odor.

My dog's gums are very red and swollen, and he has an odor. What could be the problem, and what do I do to help him?
Hello there,

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Has he been vaccinated and wormed?

Is there any tarter on the teeth?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is eating and drinking.

He has had his rabies and checked for worms, but I don't give him the others.

He has some tartar, but very little.

Inflamed gums most often is caused by bacterial overgrowth. It is not an uncommon problem in dogs. It can be caused by a viral or bacterial infection or an immune system disorder. If there is not much tarter on the teeth an enzymatic toothpaste can be used 2-3 times a week to remove the tarter. C.E.T. toothpaste is a common one. Your vet or local pet store should have it. After a few weeks the tarter can be wiped off with a cloth after it has softened. If there is an infection you will need an oral antibiotic from your vet as well. Clavamox or clindamycin are used most often. There are also water additives and chews on the market that reduce bacterial growth in the mouth. Your local pet store should have both.