Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

my dog has arthritis and is limping badly, can I give him

my dog has arthritis and is limping badly, can I give him some OTC to ease his pain until we can see the Vet tomorrow
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How old is your dog?
2- How long has it been since she is off the dermaxx?
3- Is she on any other medications?
4- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dog is 125 lbs Malinois
11 years old
2 weeks off dermaxx
no other meds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
The only OTC medication that can be used is Buffered Aspirin at a dose of 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. So, for a 125 lbs dog that would be between 625-1,250mg every 12 hours. Give 2 tablets of the 325mg every 12 hours. Try not to keep her on it for more than 1 week as it can cause gastrointestinal irritation. Important to know that once you start the aspirin to restart the dermaxx she will have to be off aspirin for several days before using another non steroidal anti inflammatory.
Finally, consider supplement with Glucosamine 2,500mg a day long term; ok to use human glucosamine. It can be used together with the above medications.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter