CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog has parvo. Vet gave him some shots and he stopped pooping and vomiting. He injected

My dog has parvo. Vet gave him some shots and he stopped pooping and vomiting. He injected fluid under his skin last night and we give him gatorade every 2 hours. His head is shaking voluntarily ... is this normal conditions for parvo? he is in his 3rd day with the disease. also, what else can I do to help him survive>
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

For the best outcome for parovirus, they should be hospitalized getting IV fluids, medicatons for nausea, blood sugar support and antibiotics - intravenously.

The shaking an illness you report is not normal and can indicate electrolyte or blood sugar (low) problems.

Until you can see your vet, what can we try at home and is over the counter to help?

- You can try to offer small amounts of pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes. You can even purchase a dropper from your local pharmacy to offer the water/pedialyte mixture by mouth.

- A calorie dense nutritional supplement such as nutrical (LINK HERE)

- Another option would be baby food. If you are going to try this, please purchase baby food that does not have any ingredients such as garlic or onion.

Many baby foods now will only have the ingredients of the item and water...for example chicken and water. But they will not have any other salts or seasonings. This is what you need. Just chicken and water or beef and water
for example.

You can also rub some karo syrup or pancake syrup on the gums for blood sugar help!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My vet said he didnt need a hospital, and when I asked abotu the head shaking he said it was probrably the dog coming back to reality. Should I see a different vet?
Hi there,

YES - I would see a different vet.

Parvovirus is very treatable with a great survival in hospital, often more than 90%.

If not, the prognosis is dramatically lower.

I would see a different vet if I were you as this is very concerning to me!