Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My yorkie started throwing up white stuff with chunks in it

My yorkie started throwing up white stuff with chunks in it a couple days ago, then she had diarhea through the night it went away for a day and now she is throwing up yellow foam and now slimy stuff. She tries to sleep in between but is very restless and sits up just staring and is just not herself. she weighs around 5 lbs and usually inhales her food and usually wants to eat and eat. Her little tummy contracts as she vomits up the slimy yellow/brownish clear slime and it has a slight odor. what should i do??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality

This is what I would do for now:
1. With hold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid at 0.25 mg/lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). For diarrhea, you can give 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin 2-3 times daily.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to add that she continues to throw up every 5-10 minutes and this has been going on for several hours. Its also a foXXXXX XXXXX lquid now. I dont have pepcid only pepto bismol should i give her that?

she is in my lap and now has diarhea all over me

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
You can give Pepto, but it doesn't work as well. You can give 1/4 teaspoon 2-3 times daily.

If the diarrhea looks bloody, then I would get her to a vet and get her on IV fluids. Also if she's lethargic and rapidly declining I would get her in and on some fluids as she's awfully small to lose that amount of fluid in the vomit/ diarrhea.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The diarhea is brownish clear liquid -not bloody at all. at first i thought it was pee. My daughter is a nurse and said she didnt think i needed to rush her to the emerg vet. I am just worried and this has never happened before. She wants to go to sleep but she just keeps heaving up this slimy brown liquid. she is sitting up as if she is trying to stop the heaving. She is not herself and will hide under my chair to get sick. She just wants me to hold her. Do you think it is safe to wait until morning and then call my vet? Should i still try to give her the pepto? Sorry for all the questions I am just so unsure what to do and dont want anything to happen to her
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
It should be ok to wait until morning. I would go ahead and give the dose of Pepto if that is all you have.

In the morning, they will likely start some Metronidazole and give injectable meds to stop the vomiting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is starting to dry heave so I got her to lick an ice cube then gave her the pepto and she threw that up. i will just stay up with her until morning thank you for you help you have helped me to at least not panic.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
No more ice or water- that will just induce more vomiting. The only thing I'd give her orally at this point would be Pepcid or some other GI protectant.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay- thank u for your help!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)