Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

My dog has a red and sore nose. What causes this She is

My dog has a red and sore nose. What causes this? She is 4 years old. A yellow lab with a pink (dark) nose and now it looks red and it is sore to touch. I have kept her out of the sun because I thought it might be sunburned but I don't think that is the problem. Can you give me any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Deb.

Dr. Deb :

How long has Angel's nose been sore? Is the area the very tip of her nose on the top? Is she bothered by it - pawing at it or rubbing it on the carpet etc... How is she doing otherwise? Normal energy level, appetite, thirst - no vomiting or diarrhea? Any nasal discharge?

Customer:

Her nose has been red and cracked (not cracked looking now) for about 3 weeks. The nose is red and sore looking on the top of her nose. She does not paw at it or rubbing it on the carpet. But she did go to take a bone from me this evening and hit her nose on the bone and backed off immediately. I know it hurt her by her actions. She is eating well. She does drink alot but I feel that it from the hot weather we are expericing. No diarrhea or vomiting and no nasal discharge. She does seem a litttle lisless but I also thought that was from the hot weather. She doesn't act like she is sick but maybe a little less engery than normal for her.

Dr. Deb :

Some dogs can develop this type of lesion on their nose. We suspect, in most cases, it's caused by an autoimmune reaction. We aren't really sure. I've biopsied nose lesions like this, and it is very unrewarding. Typically I will run bloodwork to rule out any other underlying disease processes. Then, if all normal, I'll start them on a topical cream/ointment called Animax. The area usually responds very well to this treatment twice a day, and it clears up. But, it is a lifelong treatment/management. My own dog has this type of lesion. And when it is like you describe, it can be very uncomfortable, and even bleed if it becomes irritated.

Dr. Deb :

But, I haven't seen the area, and a visit to your vet to have it and her examined would be a good idea. In the meantime, you can apply some cortizone cream twice daily.

Customer:

Thank you for this information. I do want to ask if it could be cancer? Can I purchase Animax from the vet or from a vet supply store? I will take her to a vet and would like to know if you could recommend a vet in the Hesperia, Ca. area? Our vet retired and we haven't found another to replace him. We are retired and on a limited income so I hope to get a great vet at a reasonable price. Wish you could see Angel and work with her. She is a great dog and the love of our lives. Thank you for your information Dr. Deb.

Dr. Deb :

You are welcome. A lesion like you describe could be cancerous, but given Angel's age, that possiblity is much lower on the list. Animax is a prescription medication that you will have to purchase from your vet. I wish I could help you in finding a vet in CA, but I'm on the East coast and am not familiar with any vets in your area. Angel sounds like a great dog, and I am partial to Yellow Labs for sure - so sweet with great personalities!

Customer:

Thank you for your help and I will definitely get her to a vet tomorrow. Good night and know you helped me so very much. Jackie

Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience: Small animal vet - practicing since 2004