Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dogs appetite has increased lately she seems hungry all

My dog's appetite has increased lately she seems hungry all the time. We haven't changed her food or given her any less. She has also been having a few bowel movements in the house. She goes for a walk everyday, and has at least 2 bowel movements, they are not runny. Any answers?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 4 year old girl, Molly who has been eating more than usual and who is seemingly hungry all the time! It is also interesting she has been toileting inside as well. There are quite a number of syndromes that occur in dogs that can cause an increased hunger. The main two syndromes are diabetes and Cushings disease. With both of these however, I would have expected you to have seen her drinking and urinating more than usual as well. If you have noticed an increase thirst as well, then it would definitely be worth having a blood test done to have these two potential problems ruled out. There are some intestinal disorders that can cause an increase in hunger, but these typically also cause some weight loss.

The other possibility here is that both of these problems are purely behavioral. If there is any competition (ie. other dogs in your household) then this can be enough to make dogs seemingly hungry all the time. The defecating inside is more likely behavioral - particularly if you have caught Molly in the act and she knows what she is doing. Be sure to give her a gutteral growl of 'AAAAH!' rather than 'No!' when you catch her doing this and clean up the area with a non ammonia based product, followed by some pet odor neutralizer. You can also feed a few treats on this spot as this helps stop dogs from defecating in the same areas again and again.

For more info on 'polyphagia' (the Veterinary term for increased appetite), please visit here:

Best of luck and if you have noticed Molly drinking or urinating more than usual, or any weight loss, definitely get her checked over by your local Vet, including a full blood test if possible.

I hope this helps and just reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I found the same info online, I already knew what he told me.