Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

my dog has a number of small bumps on the top of her head and

my dog has a number of small bumps on the top of her head and some on her upper back, I also noticed she has a watery lump under her chin. I've been watching her a little while I havent seen her itch them, the lump under her chin is about the size of a tenisball. I first though it might be mosquito bites but I'm not sure.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long has the lump under her chin and the small bumps on her head/back been present?

Is she breathing normally?

How much does she weigh?

Has she been outside a lot today?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she didn't have them yesterday. she is breathing normaly. wieght 75 lbs. Shes an out side dog so all day.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

At this time she sounds like she is having an allergic reaction to some type of insect bite or sting. To determine exactly what type of insect such as a wasp, bee, mosquito, or even a spider is very difficult. The swelling is edema or fluid buildup from the reaction and the bumps are hives from also from the reaction.

The good news is we treat each one the same way. I would give her some regular Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Her dose would be 75 mg every 12 hours. Benadryl usually comes in 25 mg capsules or tablets therefore you can give her three capsules or tablets every 12 hours. This dose is very safe and at the most may make her slightly sleepy tonight, though I do not expect this.

If she doesn't seem to improve overnight, you may want to take her to your vet tomorrow for a cortisone shot which will be even more effective.

Hope this helps - please reply if you have any questions.