Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

What would make a dog smell sickly sweet

What would make a dog smell "sickly sweet"?
Not sure.

Certain conditions can cause certain odors. Those include ear infections, kidney disease, possibly odor coming from the stomach from something ingested. Certain skin conditions can also cause some awkward odors.

A tough question.
Certainly, if a new smell and definitely distinct, well worth veterinary investigation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's been going on for some time (approx. 4 years). See doesn't seem sickly or weak, so I'm thinking some kind of allergy, it's her hind end that seems to be an issue...she does get Benadryl for an allergy, but it seems persistent. Should she still smell like that?
Well,
Smelling an odor for that length of time with no observable change in the pet and no symptoms of illness, doesn't sound like a problem to me.

Also, allergies can predispose to yeast or bacterial skin infections and ear infections, so that would be my primary concern of something for your vet to check for....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for all your help!
You are very welcome.
Have a nice evening.

Please remember to click “accept” if you have found the responses helpful or informative. Thank you XXXXX