Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog has a swollen knot on her hind leg. The vet said it

My dog has a swollen knot on her hind leg. The vet said it was a pulled achilles (sp?) And would
take 10 days to 2 weeks to heal. She is feaked out about the pain. It's been three weeks and the
knot is still swollen. She has been taking rimadyl since the injury. She seems to re-injur heself
when she goe to the bathroom. How can we get her thru this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Trust me on this!
You need a second opinion, and I would even more strongly recommend you ask your vet for a referral to a orthopedic surgeon.
Now, not a surgeon because surgery must be done, but because these vets would be the best for evaluating this lump and determining if it is truly due to some Achilles tendon injury (which I am suspicious is not the cause).

I am concerned about some other soft tissue injury or bone problem, and if x-rays have not been performed, they absolutely need to be done.

Rimadyl is a good non-steroidal anti-inflammatory that can often help with pain. But, if still uncomfortable, definitely ask the vet for some Tramadol. It's a good and true oral pain medication that can be given with Rimadyl.

Also, 2 weeks to heal? Tendon injury.
If a person had torn the Achilles, they could require months to heal, so that discrepancy alone suggests to me you need a second opinion ASAP, and ideally from a specialist.

Good Luck with Sheba.

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency.