Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog has diarrhea and is vomiting. He is shivering and a

Customer Question

My dog has diarrhea and is vomiting. He is shivering and a little sluggish. He is eating and drinking water but brings is up after and hour. I changed brands of his food which is lamb and rice. Can this be the cause?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 7 year old beagle, Biscuit who has had diarrhea and vomiting in the last little while. As you can imagine, there are quite a few possible causes for his current symptoms and it could even be a food allergy to something in the new food you have recently changed him to. If he does have access to bones or breakable plastic toys, then we do have to be wary of a possible gastrointestinal foreign body as well, although this would be unlikely to cause diarrhea. It may also be a good idea to quickly scout your yard and check to see if you can find anything toxic he may have gotten into (slug/snail bait or rat bait for example). If he really hasn't been able to keep much down over the last day or so, then I would definitely encourage you to get him to your regular Vet first thing tomorrow for a full check up and treatment. I also definitely recommend that you just feed him bland food such as cooked chicken breast and rice for the next 2 - 3 days from tomorrow morning - with hold food tonight and just try and get him to keep some water down.

In the meantime, please keep a close eye on your dog's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully this is just plain old gastroenteritis and the symptoms resolve in the next day or two. It may pay to go back to the other food you had him on, just in case he has a food allergy or intolerance to an ingredient in the new diet you switched him to. Finally - just in case this is something infectious (like salmonella or campylobacter for example) - be sure to wash your hands after handling him, his vomitus or feces.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. I hope this has been of help to you and do try and get some sleep tonight. Just reply if you have any further questions about Biscuit.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do as you prescribed giving biscuit chicken and rice. Hopefully it will work. Will keep in touch.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
No problem - best of luck. If you have any questions about him tonight, just reply to this post!

Keep in touch,

Dr Edwards
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Edwards. Biscuit is back to his old self. He is no longer feeling sick.

Today is his second day with chicken and rice. I will go back to his old brand of food.

My family and I are grateful for your advice.

Sincerely,

M. Mendez

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there - I'm glad Biscuit improved quickly!!

It was a pleasure helping you.

Regards,

Dr Edwards