Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science University of Melbourne

My dog is vomiting, weak, and shivering. I tried to give her

My dog is vomiting, weak, and shivering. I tried to give her a piece of bread soaked in evaporated milk but she wouldn't eat it.

It’s very important that you don’t consider this too lightly. Vomiting has many causes; most are minor but some are serious. If she starts to deteriorate or the vomiting doesn’t soon stop she should be assessed by a veterinarian even if that means a trip to an emergency clinic.

Just like humans dogs can occasionally have minor gastroenteric upsets that will respond to conservative treatments. We must be cautious though because if the vomiting persists Turtle could become dehydrated and develop electrolyte imbalances. Persistent or prolonged vomiting (or diarrhoea) should be investigated by a veterinarian.

The cause of her gastroenteric upset could be due to ingesting something that is irritant or due to infection (bacterial or viral) but could also be due to metabolic issues (problems with other systems in the body). It is impossible to determine the cause without an examination. However the basics for treating gastroenteric upsets are initially the same regardless of the cause. Often if a dog has eaten inappropriately the body's natural reaction is to vomit in order to eliminate the offensive material. Once the stomach has fully emptied usually the vomiting stops. This is what we want to happen with Turtle.

First you must withhold food until the vomiting has definitely stopped. If you have a Kaolin/Pectin/Bismuth mixture (Kaopectate, Kaomagma, Pepto-Bismol) dose her at 0.5-1.0 ml/lb every 4-6 hours. Allow her to drink water but be careful she doesn't drink too much at once as this may trigger further vomiting. If an electrolyte mix (eg Pedialyte) is available you can mix this with the water. If necessary you can syringe the water into her. A turkey baster is quite handy for that.

If she improves, once the vomiting has definitely stopped (6 hours) try her on a small easily digestible meal (boiled chicken/boiled rice is good). Revert to her normal diet as she improves.

If she is not responding and seems to be unwell, then you will have to seek veterinary attention.

I hope I have been of assistance.

Kindest regards, Peter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her vomit is just foamy spit, and she shivers only when i take her outside.

Hi again

It may be that she is not truly vomiting but regurgitating congealed saliva. This will often happen when there is a throat or tonsil infection and that is common in young dogs. The slaiva nd mucus builds up at the back of the throat, is swallowed and then regurgitated back. That may also explain the grass eating and shivering, common signs when there is throat discomfort. She may need antibiotics if that’s the case but of course she will need to see a vet for that.

To relieve any discomfort you could dose her with Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) but ensure it is not the combination product (Benadryl Allergy and Sinus). The dose rate is 1-2 mg/lb but don’t exceed 40 mg total dose.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could reactine be a substitute?
Reactine (citerazine) is used in dogs but generally for skin itch problems using it's anti-histamine affect. I would prefer Benadryl. I know Benadryl will produce some relief if her throat's sore. The dose of Reactine is 0.5 mg/lb (1 mg/kg) and it would not hurt to try that if there is no alternative.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more thing, just wondering how you knew she was eating grass? And thanks so much for your advice, I will be taking her to the vet and will call them in the morning.
Hmmm...I'm not sure why I presumed she was eating grass. But that often goes along with young dogs that vomit foamy saliva. I probably "jiumped the gun" on that apologies. But if she is eating grass then that fits the picture for a throat upset.
Cheers, Peter