ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.

He is having trouble walking and using back legs, getting worse.

He is having trouble walking and using back legs, getting worse. What could this be? He is 90 lb Goldenj Retriever.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

How old is he?
Was it a gradual change or sudden?
Ever have trouble getting up in the hind end before?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 6 and this started after a vet visit Thus. Tanner was given Cephalexin 1000mg 2x a day for infected bee bite
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me more about the infected bee bite? Where was is located, was it draining infection, what were the symptoms, etc?

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We only think it is a bee bite. It is on the underside of his tail. No symptoms, it was a routine check up. Draining a little, no longer. He will walk a few steps and then collapses. Getting progressively worse since Thur PM. Has tolerated daily walks well until this am.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.
Can you look at his gums and tell me if they are a nice pink color or pale pink, whitish? Also any swelling of his belly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
gums looks pink, no noticeable swelling
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.
OK, do all 4 legs collpase or the hind legs and then the front? Thank for answering all my questions. You are my eyes in this situation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
definitely hind legs. After walk this am he laid down all day until 1 hour ago. Has good appetite. Also using neosporan on "wound."
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.
I am worried about a few possibilities.

One is that this could be a spinal problem. When a dog has a intervertebral disk or some other lesion that puts pressure on the spinal cord, you can see progressive weakness in the hind legs. This is a potentially serious situation and if it continues can result in paralysis. The treatment is strict cage rest and pain medication for a month but I would want this confirmed by a veterinarian with a physical exam.

Another possibility is that he is weak from anemia, that is why I had you check his gums. Unfortunately, we see a lot of Golden Retrievers that have weakness from a tumor in the spleen or in the heart that causes either anemia or constriction of the proper functioning of the heart.

Finally, it could be a sudden change in function in the hips or knees but you will usually see limping first or previous symptoms.

I think that you should get him to an emergency facility tonight and not wait on this. It is very concerning.